I decided to add my research paper sources into my ePortfolio because they helped me to develop my research paper and overall my research project and my ePortfolio. These sources also helped me to explain certain aspects of my research paper, as well as increase my knowledge in the area of female nurses and their gendered roles in the medical field. Furthermore, showing these courses helps give more information and evidence that can be related to the main argument of my ePortfolio.

Primary Sources:

1. Letter from Laura Holland to her Mother. Letter No. 28, Lemnos, November 4th, 1915. In Andrea McKenzie (Ed.), War-Torn Exchanges: The Lives and Letters of Nursing Sisters Laura Holland and Mildred Forbes. UBC Press, 2016: 84-85.

This letter from Laura Holland to her mother talks about the bad conditions, lack of supplies for the injured soldiers, and the alarming numbers of injured soldiers. This letter will help me to explain the roles the nursing sisters had, and how these situations impacted their roles as nurses.

2. Letter from Mildred Forbes to Cairine. Letter No. 75, S.S. Braemar Castle, August 17th, 1916. In Andrea McKenzie (Ed.), War-Torn Exchanges: The Lives and Letter of Nursing Sisters Laura Holland and Mildred Forbes. UBC Press, 2016: 161-162.

This letter from Mildred Forbes to Cairine talks about her illness she had to deal with while being a nursing sister in the war. She discusses some issues they were facing in this time, such as with lack of nurses and broken-down ambulances. This letter will help me to explain the experiences a nursing sister had and how this effected their role as a nurse in the war.

3. Letter from Mildred Forbes to Cairine. Letter No. 76, S.S. Braemar Castle, August 17th, 1916. In Andrea McKenzie (Ed.), War-Torn Exchanges: The Lives and Letter of Nursing Sisters Laura Holland and Mildred Forbes. UBC Press, 2016: 162-163.

This letter from Mildred Forbes to Cairine talks about illnesses and issues they faced while being nursing sisters in the war. This letter will help me to explain the experiences and health issues of nursing sister had in the war, and how this impacted their lives while in the war.

Secondary Sources:

1. Mansell J., Diana. Forging the Future: A History of Nursing in Canada. Thomas Press Publication, 2004.

This book explains the history of nursing in Canada, and the book is broken down into sections, and I will be looking at the sections pertaining to the wars. The sections I will be looking at are “War and Epidemic: 1914-1919” and “Supply, Demand, Economics and Professionalism: World War II”, and these sections will help me to explain the roles of the nurses in the wars.

2. Hallett E., Christine. Containing Trauma: Nursing Work in the First World War. Manchester University Press, 2011.

This book explains nursing work in the first World War and outlines the roles Canadian nurses played in the wars, the care they gave to the war patients both physically and emotionally. The book explains the nurses’ importance in the wars and how the wars affected them, and this information will be useful when discussing these ideas in my paper.

3. Toman, Cynthia. Sister Soldiers of the Great War: The Nurses of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. UBC Press, 2016.

This book talks about nursing sisters and the Canadian Medical Army Corps in World War I. It outlines the history of the CMAC and the importance it had in the war and how influential the women nurses were in this time. This information in the book will help me to explain the role nursing sisters and the women in the CMAC had in the war.

4. McKenzie, Andrea (Ed.). War-Torn Exchanges: The Lives and Letters of Nursing Sisters Laura Holland and Mildred Forbes. UBC Press, 2016.

This book has letters and recollections from nursing sisters Laura Holland and Mildred Forbes during the first World War. It outlines the struggles and hardships, the fears, and happy moments of these two nursing sisters lives in the war. This book will help me to explain the roles these women had as nurses in the war and how their experiences affected them and their involvement in the war.

5. Quiney J., Linda. “Assistant Angels: Canadian Voluntary Aid Detachment Nurses in the Great War.” CBMH, Vol 15 (1998): 189-206.

This article talks about the Canadian Voluntary Aid Detachment Nurses and how even though they were not well recognized in history they still made a big impact to war relief. The article also talks about the Canadian Army Medical Corps and the Red Cross and their roles in the wars. In addition to this, the article discusses gender and femininity in terms of volunteer nursing work in the war. This article gives me information to help me support the topics of the nurse’s roles in the war and the influence of gender and being female in these roles.

6. Dodd, Dianne. “Canadian Military Nurse Deaths in the First World War.” Canadian Bulletin of Medical History, Vol 34, Number 2 (Fall 2017): 327-363.

The article examines the lives of Canadian nursing sisters who served in World War I and their deaths while helping in the war. The article also looks at the Canadian Army Medical Corps. The information within this article will help me to discuss the roles these nursing women had within the war and also the experience these women went through.

7. “The First World War’s Nursing Sisters.” Canadian Nurse (Nov 2016): 17.

This article gives a brief outline of who and what the Canadian Army Medical Corps and the Nursing Sisters were and their impact they had on the first World War. This article has key information in it that I will incorporate into my paper, and I can use as evidence to support the topics I want to discuss.

8. Mann, Susan. “Where Have All The Bluebirds Gone? On The Trail of Canada’s Military Nurses, 1914-1918.” Atlantis: Critical Studies in Gender, Culture & Social Justice, Vol 26.1 (Fall/Winter 2001): 35-44.

This article talks about military nurses and the impact the “bluebirds” had on the medical field within the first World War. The “bluebirds” were very influential in the war, and this article will help me to incorporate information about the “bluebirds” and other nursing sisters in the war into my paper. The information in this article is key information that will help me to support the topics I want to discuss in my research paper.

9. Quiney J, Linda. “Gendering Patriotism: Canadian Volunteer Nurses as the Female ‘Soldiers’ of the Great War.” In Sarah Glassford and Amy Shaw (Ed.), A Sisterhood of Suffering and Service: Women and Girls of Canada and Newfoundland During the First World War. UBC Press, 2012: 103-125.

This article looks at nursing sister, the Canadian Army Medical Corps, and the Voluntary Aid Detachment nurses of the first World War. This article will help me to explain these positions in the war and the roles and experiences these women nurses did and went through. The information within this article will help me to explain the topics I want too address throughout my paper.

10. Toman, Cynthia. “‘A Loyal Body of Empire Citizens’: Military Nurses and Identity at Lemnos and Salonika, 1915-1917.” In Jayne Elliott et al. (Ed.), Place & Practice in Canadian Nursing History. UBC Press, 2008: 8-24.

This article discusses the Canadian Army Medical Corps and the nursing sisters of World War I. The information within this article will be helpful when I explain the roles, position, and experiences the military nurses had and went through while helping in World War I. This information is key because it will help me to support the topics I will be discussing in this paper.

11. Stuart, Meryn. “Social Sisters: A Feminist Analysis of the Discourse of Canadian Military Nurse Helen Fowlds, 1915-1918.” In Jayne Elliott et al. (Eds), Place & Practice in Canadian Nursing History. UBC Press, 2008: 25-39.

This article looks at the Canadian military nurse Helen Fowlds who worked in the medical field in World War I. This article is broken down into smaller section that discuss the roles and experiences of Canadian nurses in this time. The information in this article will help me to support the argument I will be making throughout my paper about the roles and experiences of nurses in the wars.

Image from: https://www.ubcpress.ca/war-torn-exchanges