My name is Breana Paulos and I’m from Ashcroft B.C. I attended Ashcroft Elementary School from Kindergarten to Grade 7, then Ashcroft Secondary School from Grade 8 to Grade 12. Throughout my years in Elementary and High School, I played a variety of sports, and was involved in many extracurricular activities.

Since Grade 5, I’ve wanted to be a teacher, and this idea stick with me until I graduated from High School. I’m now finishing my second semester of my third year of the Bachelor of Arts Program, at Thompson Rivers University, and I’m continuing to pursue my dream of becoming a teacher.

Throughout my years at TRU, I took a variety of courses, and I found I had a keen interest for History and Physical Education, however, my main interest is History. Over the years I have taken many courses, including: a variety of Canadian History courses, such as Pre- and Post- Confederation, the period between 1900 and 1950, History of British Columbia, the History of Religion, and the History of Childhood and Education. In addition to this, I took courses that focused on the early years of European History, and American History, such as 1900-1945 and the Hollywood Era.

All of these courses I have taken were very interesting, however, the topics I enjoyed to learn about the most are: Confederation, the 1920s and 1930s in both Canadian and American History. In addition to this, I also like to learn about controversial issues, such as, Indigenous affairs, different cultures, religions, education, medicine, and information about key people in different eras of History… In short, I like all aspects of History.

The main reason why I took this course is because I find history interesting and there is always more and more to learn with every course you take, and “Gender and Health in History” seemed like it would be fun and interesting, because there are many aspects to it and things that are controversial and debatable. Overall, this course seemed like it would give me a different view of gender and health and how it is portrayed throughout Canadian History.